What Requires Licensing for Contractors in the State of Florida?

This information was found on Florida’s Department of Business and Professional Regulation’s website.

A Contractor is someone who demolishes, subtracts from, builds or improves any building or structure for compensation.  Examples of compensation are cash, goods, services, etc.  Essentially, if you pay someone to construct a building or a structure, make structural alterations to load bearing walls, or perform services such as plumbing or air conditioning work, that person has to have a state contractors’ license. 

These items are offered as examples of services you do need to hire a person with a Florida license and services you do not need to hire a person with a Florida license.  The list is not all inclusive.  If you have specific questions, please contact the department at 850.487.1395 or review the rules for the profession at www.myfloridalicense.com.  You should also check with your county or city to learn whether or not a local business tax receipt or certificate of competency is required for services that do not require a state license.  

Needs a LicenseDoes not need a license
Build a carport or sunroom for compensation.Install a driveway or install pavers/tile walkways regardless of compensation.
Construct a roof for compensation.Install awnings that do not become a fixed part of the structure regardless of compensation.
Install a dishwasher (requires connecting to drinking water) or replace a hot-water heater for compensation.Add a water filter onto a faucet regardless of compensation.
Install a central air-conditioning unit for compensation (requires structural work and wiring).Insert a plug-in A/C window unit regardless of compensation.
Clean central air and heat ducts for compensation (requires partial disassembly of the system, such as removal of air grills).Change an A/C filter or cleaning ducts that do not require removal of the air grills regardless of compensation.
Repair or replace swimming pool pumps for compensation.Clean swimming pools.Install an above-ground pool regardless of compensation.
Perform plumbing work or irrigation installation that requires the contractor to connect lines to potable (drinking) water for compensation.Install or repair irrigation systems that have a backflow preventer connected to a potable (drinking) water supply regardless of compensation.
Build a barn, metal building, or detached garage for compensation.Install prefabricated tool shed less than 250 square feet in size regardless of compensation. The shed may be up to 400 square feet if it bears the insignia of approval from the Department of Community Affairs.
Remodel a home that requires alteration or replacement of a load-bearing wall for compensation.Paint; install cabinets, wood or tile flooring, and insulation regardless of compensation.
Installation or replacement of drywall if the contract also includes work on the load bearing part of the wall, plumbing, electrical, or air conditioning work.Installation or replacement of drywall if the contract does not include other work on the load bearing part of the wall or any plumbing, electrical, or air conditioning work.

Soreide Law Group, PLLC, will represent you in front of the Florida Board of Contractors regarding licensing issues. To make an appointment to speak with an experienced and qualified attorney please call Soreide Law Group at:  (888) 760-6552 or visit our website at:  www.floridaprofessionallicense.com   .